Safe, effective drug/alcohol treatment

All across this country in small towns, rural areas and cities, alcoholism and drug abuse are destroying the lives of men, women and their families. Where to turn for help? What to do when friends, dignity and perhaps employment are lost?

The answer is Palm Partners Recovery Center. It’s a proven path to getting sober and staying sober.

Palm Partners’ innovative and consistently successful treatment includes: a focus on holistic health, a multi-disciplinary approach, a 12-step recovery program and customized aftercare. Depend on us for help with:

 Crazy News Stories Of The Week      

                                                     Crazy News Stories Of The Week

Another dose of your Crazy News Stories of the Week. Enjoy!                                          

#1. Man Assaults Mom with Machete

A Daytona Beach man was arrested and jailed after he threatened his mother with a machete, allegedly. According to Daytona Beach cops, as reported in The Daytona Beach News-Journal, Kevin Bolden was mad at his mom for giving his hospitalized grandmother too much sugar. So he decided to make a point by allegedly threatening her with a machete, and he certainly didn’t mince words.

At this time, there are no further details other than that Bolden is currently behind bars for the assault on his momma.

#2. Man Upset Over Not Receiving Any Mail

Police arrested Florida man who is accused of throwing broken furniture at a postal carrier because he didn’t have any mail for him. According to an Ocala Police Department report, Aaron Bernard Smith, 27, is facing charges of burglary, battery and criminal mischief.

The mailman told officers that Smith approached the driver’s side of his truck and, when he tried to explain to Smith that the reason he did not receive any mail was because there simply wasn’t any for him, Smith got angry and struck him with an open fist at least three times on the right arm. Smith then walked away from the vehicle, picked up a broken chair and threw it at the mail truck, striking the left rear panel. According to the report, when officers located Smith, he admitted to the incident.

Court records show Smith has been evaluated for mental illness the Baker Act twice, once in May, and once in January of 2013.

#3. Freaky Flasher Arrested

Identified as 34-year-old David Gouldner, aka “Ruby Red,” “Super Pimp” and “Carrot Top,” was detained by a deputy after a woman flagged down a cop saying that a man, wearing a polka-dot shirt and orange shorts, was “exposing himself and giving people the finger.”

The female victim was pulling into a parking lot when Gouldner pulled down his pants and grabbed his penis. “He began wiggling it in a circular manner then let go and started swinging it around,” an affidavit states. The victim yelled at the man and he started to approach her. She said she backed away and saw the deputy drive by and began waving her arms.

Gouldner was arrested on an exposure of sexual organs charge and passed out in the back seat of the deputy’s patrol car on the way to the station.

#4. Woman Paranoid About Her Meth Calls Cops

54-year-old Lynette Rae Sampson was arrested on felony drug charges after police said she called and said she thought her crystal meth was laced with something.

According to an affidavit, Sgt. Tim Doyle said that Sampson called him at the police department and told him she had meth in a tin container on her kitchen counter. He sent Deputy Barber to knock on her door. Sampson answered and told him, “I’m glad you came.” Barber asked if he could speak with her, Sampson said yes and let him into the house.

Sampson told the cop that she thought her “ice” was laced with something. Sampson then went into the living room, sat down, and appeared to be hearing things. She was also sweating profusely. Barber asked if she had used methamphetamine recently, and Sampson admitted to smoking meth a couple of hours prior. She also showed the deputy the tin containing a white, crystalline substance and a broken light bulb that appeared to have been used to smoke the drug, having a white residue on the inside surface.

Sampson was arraigned on a felony count of possession of methamphetamine and a misdemeanor count of unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia. For the felony charge, Sampson faces two to 10 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000 and up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine for the misdemeanor.

#5. Plastic Surgeon Fixes Cocaine Nose Job

In a lawsuit filed in a Chicago circuit court, Sabrina Kropp alleges that her plastic surgeon posted ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos of her facial reconstruction surgery on his website without her consent. What’s worse, he had them labelled “cocaine nose.”

In the lawsuit, Kropp said that Dr. Robert Walton took the photographs of her face in 2004, under the guise that the images were for the sole use of being part of her medical records. But, according to the suit, when the Walton opened a new practice in 2013, Plastic Surgery Chicago LLC, the photos of her face were published on that practice’s website.

“Cocaine nose” is listed on Walton’s website as one of the conditions for which he offers and performs nasal reconstruction surgery. The site describes the condition as “perforations of the septum, infection, loss of supporting cartilage, scarring and eventual collapse of the nose” that chronic cocaine use can cause. Among other allegations, Kropp is suing Walton and Plastic Surgery Chicago LLC for breach of legal and ethical duty to protect confidentiality, and that his actions were in direct violation of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

Kropp’s lawsuit seeks compensation for damages, stating that she “suffered great harm” as a result of the photos being published. Kropp also contends that Walton should have known that publishing the photos would cause her “to become distressed, shamed and embarrassed,” according to the lawsuit.

This blog is purely for entertainment value. However, we are also here to help. If you or a loved one is struggling with substance abuse or addiction, call us toll-free at 1-800-951-6135 to speak directly with an Addiction Specialist day or night. We’re here to answer your questions and offer resources.

Opinion: Does Court-Ordered Drug Treatment Work?

court ordered drug treatmentIt has been a long held belief that addicts and alcoholics must want to get sober in order to get sober. Or that they can’t be forced into sobriety. I can definitely see why this belief exists because many addicts and alcoholics won’t get sober until they are ready and willing to do it for themselves. But this isn’t always the case. And often times addicts and alcoholics don’t know their drug use and drinking has put them on death’s front door until it is too late. That is why court-ordered drug treatment is available.

But does court ordered drug treatment work?

Often times, yes it does. Unfortunately getting exact numbers on how court ordered drug treatment fares in comparison to a regular treatment center is difficult. This is because even the numbers for people who choose to go to drug treatment are skewed by relapse and what the definition of success in sobriety even is. Often times relapse is part of the process and it takes an individual a few times through treatment before it sticks. Once it sticks though, does that mean that the individual wasn’t successful due to the relapses? Whatever the case may be it is probably smart to assume that while the numbers or success rate for court ordered drug treatment may not be as high it is still just almost just as effective as any other drug treatment program. And that’s because even the success rates of the best drug treatment centers aren’t very high.

The opinion

I believe that court ordered drug treatment serves an important purpose in the lives of many addicts and alcoholics, as well as their families. I myself was court ordered to a detox center and it worked for me. I took the next step into drug treatment afterwards. I think often times addicts and alcoholics don’t want drug treatment simply because they are comfortable getting high. I feel, if they got the chance though to see what sobriety could be like and that they didn’t have to do that anymore they might feel differently about using and drinking. Alcoholics and addicts don’t have the foresight, because of their disease, to realize how drug treatment could help them until after they have completed drug treatment. This was exactly my story. I did not want to go to detox, when I was in detox I was much more receptive once my head started to clear, and now after the fact I thank God often that I was involuntarily sent there because I probably would have never gotten help if I hadn’t been. All in all, addicts and alcoholics don’t have to want to get sober to stay sober. I am living proof of that. Sometimes addicts and alcoholics don’t know what they need and when they get it, they are glad they did.

Court ordered drug treatment can work. And the reason it doesn’t for some is because of many different factors not just that the addict and alcoholic doesn’t want it. For instance, a judge is setting the amount of time that an addict or alcoholic has to be in treatment and a judge is not a doctor. The judge may require much too short of mandatory stay than is necessary. If the addict or alcoholic stayed longer they might be more successful but often times after only a short period of time, in court ordered drug treatment or not, the addict or alcoholic thinks they are well again and they are not.

Either way court ordered drug treatment saves lives and while it may or may not have high rates of people staying sober for the rest of their lives, most treatment centers don’t.

If you or your loved one is in need of drug treatment please don’t hesitate to call us at toll-free: 1-800-951-6135

Can I force my child to get drug treatment?

an I force my child to get drug treatment

Can I force my child to get drug treatment is the question many parents ask when their loved one that is abusing drugs is absolutely refusing and unwilling to seek help for themselves. It is scary to have a child that is using drugs and drinking dangerously and won’t help themselves. A parent feels as if it is their job to protect their children from pretty much everything. So what can you do as a parent if you have a child who is bad off on drugs and alcohol and won’t go to rehab? Luckily, there are things in place for just this scenario and you can force rehab if it is absolutely necessary. The hope, to force rehab is that the person once they get to rehab would give it a try.

Force rehab with an intervention:

If your child refuses to go to rehab and you must force rehab then staging an intervention may be a way to make that person understand that people care and that their behavior is hurting themselves and the other people around them that they love. Conveniently enough there are people who specialize in helping you stage an intervention with your child to force rehab. It is not recommended that you try to force rehab with an intervention on your own. An intervention is usually a surprise to the person and themore people who are close to that person who can tell him or her how they feel about their drug use and drinking the better because the more it can force rehab with that person. The goal is to show the person how much you care and that they need to get help through a rehab facility.

Force rehab with the Baker act:

If a person is over eighteen that is when the Baker Act would want to be used. If the person you are trying to force rehab with was under eighteen you could simply make them go. Unfortunately if they are over 18 they have a say in the matter and that’s where the Baker Act comes in. The Baker Act or the Florida Mental Health Act of 1971, allows for involuntary examination (what some call emergency or involuntary commitment). It can be initiated by judges, law enforcement officials, physicians, or mental health professionals. There must be evidence that the person:

  • Has a mental illness (as defined in the Baker Act)
  • Is a harm to self, harm to others, or self-neglectful (as defined in the Baker Act)

Force rehab with the Marchman Act:

The Marchman Act is somewhat similar to the Baker Act (involuntary commitment) and is especially helpful for those individuals who are over the age of 18 and don’t want to seek out help through a rehab on their own. Forcing rehab with the Marchman Act allows you to put an individual in rehab for up to 48 hours without any mental illness or other issues and the hold is usually released after the 48 hours is up unless the person asks for help themselves at that time. Each state has varying laws when it comes to the Marchman Act so if you want to use this to force rehab check out your state’s laws.

If you want to force rehab realize that it may be unrealistic to expect your child to get well. Most addicts and alcoholics have to want help in order to get sober and stay sober. There are many instances though where parents force rehab and the child goes on to live a happy and fulfilling life. In fact if the parents hadn’t forced rehab they may not even be alive today. So if you feel it is necessary never hesitate to force rehab it could save your loved one’s life.

For more information on how to stage an intervention or how to use the Florida Baker Act or Marchman Act to force your loved one to get drug treatment, please give us a call at 800-951-6135.

How Can I Get Someone Psychiatric Care?

How To Get Someone Psychiatric Care

Getting someone psychiatric help is an emotional and stomach turning thing to do but sometimes it is for their own good and it must be done. The procedure for getting some psychiatric help varies from state to state but in general an involuntary commitment is done by a doctor, therapist, and/or court. In many cases getting someone psychiatric help through an involuntary commitment is done after they have done something that makes them a danger to themselves or others. It is not easy but sometimes getting someone psychiatric help is absolutely necessary.

For psychiatric help that is involuntary

If  you feel that a person is an immediate danger to themselves or to others then dial 991 and get emergency assistance. It’s better to be safe now than sorry later. Calling the police or emergency services on a loved one can be a very tough thing to do but it’s important to know that you are not doing it to hurt them. You have to emotionally detach yourself from the situation at hand and think of their safety and the safety of other people.

Someone who is in danger of seriously injuring themselves or another because they are not in a stable mindset is not their fault. They need someone to intervene and sometimes that person is going to have to be you. Although it may not sound ideal at the time having phoned for emergency help can you later on in court if and when you need to show proof as to why this person needs to be monitored and evaluated by a mental health professional.

If you are in Florida you have the Florida Marchman Act and the Florida Baker Act on your side.

What is the Florida Marchman Act?

A Marchman Act is a means of providing an individual in need of substance abuse services with emergency services and temporary detention for substance abuse evaluation and treatment when required, either on a voluntary or involuntary basis.

What is the Florida Baker Act?

The Florida Baker Act is actually the Florida Mental Health Act of 1971. The Florida Baker Act allows for involuntary examination or what some know it as, involuntary commitment. The Florida Baker Act can be initiated by judges, law enforcement, physicians or mental health professionals. In order for an individual to have the Florida Baker Act initiated on them there must be proof that the person has a mental illness or is a danger to themselves, a danger to others or is self-neglectful.

Other Options for Involuntary Psychiatric Care…

  • Visit your city or county courthouse to get someone psychiatric help. This will need to be done in the district where the person you want to commit to psychiatric help, lives. Ask the clerk of court for the right papers and application papers. Fill those out.
  • Attend the hearing. If there is not a reason for immediate involuntary commitment a hearing will because the judge will make the final decision based on the evidence. Once all the papers are filed you will have little say in what happens to the person you are trying to get psychiatric help for. You may be asked to testify in the hearing as well.
  • Be prepared for problems. The person you are trying to get psychiatric help for may be very upset with being placed in a mental institution. If the person you are trying to get psychiatric help doesn’t immediately get into the mental institution and you feel like you are in danger then have a restraining order put in place. If they violate that you can then call the police and have the mental health professionals act enforced.

For voluntary psychiatric help

Psychiatric help can come in the form of inpatient treatment in a mental health facility, outpatient programs and/or groups with a therapist. The hardest parts about getting someone psychiatric help is convincing the person that they need help. Many times individuals do not feel that they need help, are aggressively against the idea or some are incapable of understanding what is going on.

Either way, if you are trying to get someone psychiatric help make sure that you:

  • Tell them that you love them and support them.
  • Educate yourself on their illness.
  • Drive them to appointments.
  • Find them psychiatric help.
  • Make sure they have their medications.
  • Make sure they are talking to their doctor and/or therapist.
  • Make sure they are doing ok.
  • Offer to help them where and when you can.

And last but not least if you are looking to get psychiatric help for someone else you must also get help for yourself. It’s hard to be there for a sick person and remain level headed. It can stress you out and be very hard on you – emotionally, physically, financially, socially, etc.

If your loved one is in need of alcohol or drug addiction treatment please give us a call at 800-951-6135.



What is the Florida Baker Act?

What is the Florida Baker Act?


What is the Florida Baker Act?

The Florida Baker Act is actually the Florida Mental Health Act of 1971. The Florida Baker Act allows for involuntary examination or what some know it as, involuntary commitment. The Florida Baker Act can be initiated by judges, law enforcement, physicians or mental health professionals. In order for an individual to have the Florida Baker Act initiated on them there must be proof that the person has a mental illness or is a danger to themselves, a danger to others or is self-neglectful.

The Florida Baker Act was name after Maxine Baker, who was a State representative from Miami who sponsored the Act, while serving as chairperson of the House Committee on Mental Health. The Florida Baker should only be used in situation where a person has a mental illness and meets the criteria for voluntary and involuntary admission.

What are the criteria for a voluntary admission under the Florida Baker Act?

The Florida Baker Act actually encourages voluntary admission for people who need psychiatric care. The criteria for a voluntary admission under the Florida Baker Act are that the individual seeking treatment must be 18 years old or older. If the individual is not over 18 then the individual can be admitted but only after having a hearing to verify the voluntariness of the consent. Each person entering a facility, regardless of age, must be asked to give express and informed consent for admission and treatment. If the person is a minor, express and informed consent for admission and treatment must also be requested from the person’s guardian. Once voluntary admission has been admitted they must stay in the facility for 72 hours.

Most Florida Baker acts are involuntary. The criteria for an involuntary admission under the Florida Baker Act are:

  • They refused voluntary placement or they are unable to know if placement is necessary
  • They are incapable of surviving on their own without the help of others and without treatment is most likely going to suffer from neglect which poses a real threat of harm to their being or someone else
  • There is a high change that they will inflict bodily harm on themselves or someone else as seen by their recent behavior causing, attempting, or threatening such harm
  • All other available less restricting treatment which would give them the opportunity for improvement have been judged inappropriate for them.

If someone is being involuntarily committed under the Florida Baker Act they must go through an initial examination. The examination must include a review of the person’s recent behavior, a review of the document initiating the Florida Baker Act, a brief psychiatric history and a face-to-face examination of the person. The person after being committed under the Florida Baker Act cannot leave the facility they are in until documented approval of a psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, or physician. A person cannot be held against their will or involuntarily for longer than 72 hours under the Florida Baker Act. The person must be given opportunity to let others know about their whereabouts too.

After 72 hours has passed under the Florida Baker Act an individual must be released unless they have been charged with a crime. IF they haven’t been charged with a crime, The Florida Baker Act states that an individual can choose to remain in treatment voluntarily from that point forward. The law also allows for the petition for a longer involuntary placement that must be filed with the circuit courts within the 72 hour holding period.

What is the Marchman Act?

If your loved one is in need of addiction treatment, please give us a call at 800-951-6135




free treatment ebook


Accepted Insurance Types Please call to inquire
Call Now