5 Signs of Alcohol Addiction
For many people it can be hard to recognize when they have crossed the over the line from moderate drinking into alcohol addiction. There are several different signs of alcohol addiction that are caused due to a drinking problem. It is common for an alcoholic to deny their drinking habits and want to lie about them. People with an alcohol addiction most likely prefer to only drink by themselves and not let anyone know about their drinking problem. If you spot any of these signs of alcohol addiction in yourself or in a loved one chances are you have an alcohol addiction.
Here are the 5 signs of alcohol addiction:
1. Neglecting Responsibilities: One of the major signs of alcohol addiction is when the drinker begins neglecting their responsibilities. These responsibilities can be at work, home or school. It is common for the person with the alcohol addiction to start to perform in these responsibilities very poorly or not at all. They will often neglect the people in their lives and not give them the attention that they need, for example a parent with their children will ignore their kids. Sometimes when the alcohol addiction has become very severe they will start breaking promises and commitments that they made due to being hung over or drunk.
2. Repeated legal problems: Legal problems can be one of the many signs of alcohol addiction. This can be a result of the drinker driving while under the influence or when they are drunk they begin to act disorderly. Someone with an alcohol addiction may start to get in serious legal and DMB trouble due to driving drunk. Alcohol addiction can cause the person to think they are tougher than they actually are and this can cause them to make decisions that they wouldn’t typically make when they are drunk.
3. Drinking to cope: When a person drinks to relax, de-stress, and/or soothe themselves it could be due to an alcohol addiction. This is very common of alcoholics. An alcoholic or someone with an alcohol addiction will want to come home after a very stressful day and have a few drinks to get everything off their mind. They may also want to drink after an argument with a loved one. Someone with an alcohol addiction will find that alcohol will relax them and make the problem they are having, drift away temporary.
4. Depression: Depression is one of the more serious signs of an alcohol addiction. While depression could be a result of other psychological disorders, depression can also because due to being addicted to alcohol. On top of being of being depressed, a person with an alcohol addiction may also become very angry and irritable. Someone with an alcohol addiction may have trouble sleeping as well as major anxiety issues. In some severe cases of an alcohol addiction the drinker can end up experiencing hallucinations and withdrawal symptoms.
5. Relationship problems: Relationship problems are one of the signs of alcohol addiction that can be affecting more than just the drinker. Often the person in a relationship with someone who has an alcohol addiction will become very angry. The person with the alcohol addiction may become violent or start to mentally abuse their spouse and children while they are intoxicated. While they are drunk they may not know how bad they are actually hurting the people who are close to them. Someone with an alcohol addiction may be very sorry when they are sober too. This can cause a lot of pain, hate, resentment and distrust between the drinker and their loved ones.
Another one of the signs of an alcohol addiction that wasn’t mentioned above is withdrawal symptoms when the drinker stops drinking for even a short period of time. If someone you know or you yourself are experiencing any of the above due to drinking then chances are you or your loved one has an alcohol addiction.
If you or your loved one is in need of alcohol addiction treatment please give us a call at 800-951-6135.